Friday 26 June 2015

Proximal Development & Educational Games?!!!



         I really like the idea of proximal development in the context of educational games. However, I don't think it is just the fact that it provides a challenge and the ability to learn from failures that makes it so effective. Growing up with a very traditional and conservative learning environment, part of what makes it effective and ineffective at the same time is definitely the stakes that are involved. Many of us are taught at a young age that learning is our job: our life. 
         Gammefication takes away that pressure. I know it sounds cliche but it makes gaming fun. When presented with fun, we're simply more motivated to continue. After attaining several degrees, the classes that engaged me the most were the one's that had instructors who went the extra mile in engaging us. Perhaps the most memorable one was playing a "diplomacy" game while taking my masters in international relations. It not only cemented some of the more obtuse concepts we learned but also allowed us to actively apply them without the yoke of evaluation upon our backs. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we can all use some lightness of being once in awhile. I am now curious about the 'diplomacy' game and think I will check it out before I compose my post on gamification....thank Atoosha! As you can see I am new at blogging and made a bit of a mess on your page ... opps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,
    blogging is certainly a new experience for me as well, and it takes up a lot of time sometimes to get the fonts all look the same... I guess, practice makes perfect ... LoL!!

    ReplyDelete