Sunday 28 June 2015

The Future Virtual Learning Environment & Outcomes!

      

      It never ceases to amaze me how far technology has progressed in such a short length of time. Sometimes, it only seems like yesterday as I sat in Iran with my eyes plastered on a text book as my teacher would drone on about politics and history. Just as quickly, I moved to Canada and was exposed to 2nd generation VLE’s via Web CT in UBC sciences. At the time, I found myself relatively lost in the new system, the navigation was awkward, and it was definitely not an easy task to find everything that one needed to succeed. Though I was grateful for the opportunity to stay home sipping coffee while finishing my assignments, there was a part of me that felt that VLE’s were missing something. Maybe it was because I was old fashioned and missed the drone of the teacher in the background as I diligently read my text book. Fast forwarding to today and my experiences in PIDP 3250, 
        I have to say that I have once again found the need to adapt to a new generation of virtual learning. Though it was a whole new period of adjustment, I can confidently say it is a far more polished virtual environment when compared to past iterations. I really enjoyed with how simple it was to engage with thought-provoking discourse with my peers and professors. Through my own self-reflection, I would have to admit there is a certain part of me that is not as comfortable with self-directed learning as I would like, even today, I do miss the guidance and direction a live instructor provides, especially given how complex the online learning environments are today. Moodle, depending on the instructor can be either a joy to use or a harrowing misadventure, and I do think it is important that institutions work on streamlining the process, especially since VLE’s are now reaching a broader educational audience. 
        This makes me think that this type of learning strategy is still at its infancy, and given its current state, I understand the hesitation in implementing it on a great scale as it represents a major shift in both the instructor and learner role that likely requires more transitional time or even a new generation. My concerns aside, I do believe that VLE’s are the future, even though it has not been the most efficient means for building upon my own educational foundation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment