Tuesday 23 June 2015

Motivation From Self-Determination Perspective





The idea of "love of learning" being divorced from reality really made me think about why the idea of loving learning seems so unrealistic. Is it just because people are lazy and unmotivated? If anything, I would say it's not because learning is so much about doing something that we dislike, but is strongly rooted in the way we do things. 
Take food for example. There are often foods that we don't like eating. I'm not a big fan of Brussels sprouts, but I'll probably eat them if they're slathered with enough cheese or toppings. I'm also okay with them when they're deep fried. Though nobody would catch me dead with steamed Brussels sprouts on my plate. It leads me to believe that many people have motivation, but the environment has to be right. But the lingering thought in my head is that there are many types of individuals, and it may be impossible to motivate every student equally in a group setting. That, by large and far, is probably the most unrealistic aspect of fostering a "love for learning." 

No comments:

Post a Comment