Wednesday 3 June 2015

How Adult Learners Are Different In Learning

Comment: 

Although many of the strategies we talked about and how learning happens is applicable to both children and adults. I agree that teaching children would differ from teaching adults. One of the things that comes to my mind is experience. Adult learners have more exposure to the real world, so they tend to base their learning on experiences. On the other hand, children learn their concepts in the real world through examples and/or prototypes that are developed by adults...
I like the point that was brought up in a sense that my filed of expertise will be rather different from the Adult Education setting, and what you have pointed to in your question highlights this dichotomy quite well. 
I have to constantly remind myself of this matter given that as a future early childhood educator I am expected to (in most occasions), to know it all and to be able to respond accordingly depending on what the situation may be.
So, I guess for our jobs as teachers and educators, regardless of whether we are teaching adults or children we have to consider our learner's emotions, their cognitive abilities, along with what their expectations are of us as teachers so we can deliver accordingly and in a most efficient way we possibly can.
As for adult' learners, they are really the ones who are in charge of their learning and most of the times as educators we cannot force them into learning something if the willingness and motivation is lacking. 
Here is a great link I found that highlights this issue in a greater depth: 


No comments:

Post a Comment