Saturday 20 June 2015

Critical Thinking & Questioning Techniques


Critical Thinking 




I was looking forward to my colleague : Shelley' facilitation of this discussion topic as I will also be facilitating this topic in Week 6-7 of our class.  I like how she started the discussion forum, mainly because the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the topic of choice in the discussion forums was "how to do we in fact teach critical thinking?"  How I view the subject is that we ought to have learned to think critically ourselves first prior to teaching it to our learners.
Thus, I think, teaching our students how to think critically is rather difficult while at the same time the first role of schooling is to teach students and to enable them to think critically. Furthermore, how one learns to think critically is through experience, learning from their mistakes along with experimentation and trial and errors. If anything, encouraging critical thinking is not an exercise that is accomplished with questions. 


If anything, the best thing to do while finding a balance in traditional learning is to simply provide material and assignments as per usual, but allow the students to evaluate themselves and how they reached their finished product. Helping students to be critical of their own work makes them think more critically than just simply asking them any question.

In essence, this is creating critical thinking through applicable means as opposed to just being theoretical.


This video really helped me to think about this topic from a different perspective : 

No comments:

Post a Comment