Saturday 20 June 2015

Appreciative Inquiry!

The Appreciative Inquiry Model (AI) has evolved over the past few years and has taken a new direction allowing the educators and learners to collectively, passionately, and persistently ask questions about the subject matter at hand. From what I understand, it is based on the problem solving approach that expands one’s understanding enabling them to surpass the learning obstacles and thus allowing them to not only explore new ideas but to force them to change it by means of discovery and inquiry.
What I found rather interesting about this topic and is in fact noted repeatedly in literature, is that: “lasting change in individuals’ learning comes from problem resolution but from discovery”.
Nonetheless, I don't think  that  appreciative inquiry in its true sense is a simple concept. It certainly feels that appreciative inquiry is based on the idea that everyone thrives on being positive. However, I know of a lot of people who actually thrive on negativity. Personally, there's little that motivates me to achieve more than someone telling me that I can't do it or that I'm not good enough. I really feel that in general, if someone is neutral or encouraging, it puts me into a mentality of complacency. How would we adapt appreciative inquiry into a method that would be more universal for the differing types of personalities out there?  


No comments:

Post a Comment