Saturday 11 July 2015

My Self-Reflection On Blog Making!







As the saying goes, ‘there is a first time for everything’. These words resonated with me personally throughout the making of my instructional strategies blog.  Although I am familiar with blogs, this would be the first time I would be called upon to create one for myself. In fact, I found myself at a loss on how to create one before enrolling in the PIDP 3250 Instructional strategies class.  Initially, it seemed easy enough to blog through the default Blogger template. However, as the class progressed, I found meeting course requirements required a lot of modifications that I was unfamiliar with. Sometimes, it really got out of hand.
In PIDP 3250: Instructional strategies course, journal entries along with self-assessment and blogging were used as a reflective exercise to self-evaluate our class projects and thought processes. The methods of the course were new to me as during my undergraduate and graduate studies, I was never asked to self-evaluate my work. If I could sum up the course, I would say it not only introduced us to various teaching strategies that are being used regularly but also allowed us to think critically about our own work and abilities.
Some of the classmates’ blogs I liked were: Susan Doyle’s and Karon Wong’s. Their blogs were easy to navigate and were reflective of their thought processes. Every entry actually made the class concepts easier to understand and thus facilitating my understanding of course.  Not to mention they had both incorporated some interesting side notes and video clips that added an interesting spin on the topics covered in the discussion forums.
For a person who has just started their journey in blog making, I think the strength of my blog lays in the fact that I covered the topics without going off on irrelevant tangents while adding my personal insights on the writing of the content I had incorporated into my work. In addition, none of my entires were done “as is,” for every entry I conducted external research to ensure that my contributions were comprehensive. My blog’s weakness is likely to be the presentation. Compared to some of my peers, it comes across as a little amateurish. As the course continued, I did find ways to enhance the aesthetics, but it certainly did not fit within the time frame between my visual project, forum contributions, and forum moderation. There were also a few elements of classroom discussion that I wanted to blog upon in greater depth but did not have the chance to before the deadline.
Based on the rubric provided for the purposes of our blog evaluation I would give my blog  95/100, simply because I strongly believe that my postings reflect not only my learning experience throughout the course, but they all contain my personal reflection on my learning experiences both in the past as well as in the present. Furthermore, I had incorporated a wide-range of media that I thought were very closely tied to the course content on a weekly basis, regardless I do not still feel that my blog lacks a professional polish and only incorporates one link to social media instead of multiple networks. I did consider a Twitter as well, but figured that learning and updating it would be a little out of my scope. For these reasons, I do not believe that I deserve a perfect mark on my blog, but given future opportunities, it is something that I wish to rectify.




No comments:

Post a Comment